Tuesday, February 24, 2009

complexity part II.

A few weeks back when the economic stimulus package was being discussed, I had mentioned how complex economies, government, and social structures are. Yesterday, or the day before, I don't remember when exactly, I had another realization. Some might classify it as a panic attack, but I don't think so. If anything, it was one of those moments of anxiety when every part of your life seems to be crashing down and requiring something of you. Here in the Northeast, and probably around the rest of the US, we call that everyday life. I don't know exactly what I had to do or why I was so stressed about it. Perhaps it was seeing my mile long list of everything that I need to do with the house, work, Riverbend Community Church, Jonathan, Lindsey, seeing the needs of the yard, the neighborhood, the Lehigh Valley, the World and not knowing where to start, what to do next, or how to go about it.

At that moment, I just didn't want to do anything at all.

I think that is why we are told in the Bible to "Be still. And know that I am God." That is a very reassuring truth, with a very difficult practice. It's hard to be still, to not do anything, to stop thinking even for one minute. But we should. We are not told to be still because we shouldn't be productive, but rather because this is the way we stay sane, we keep our stress down, and even stay healthy. Our personal lives are more complex than they need to be, our work lives, our religion, even the gospel we make more complex than it actually is. Why? That I don't know. What I do know is that we need to find ways, as we live life together, to live simply, love genuinely, and act justly. We won't be able to start doing these things though, until we can "be still and know God." I should put that on my list of things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment