Friday, January 16, 2009

irrational fears.

Yesterday, I was at the gym sitting in the sauna (something nice about being in a 165 degree box when its 20 degrees outside) and I was struck by a thought I have quite often-- the dentist. Now I am aware that I have an irrational fear of the worst kind, being that I know it is irrational yet I still can't get over it. Many may say that this is not an irrational fear and I should be stressed over any occurance involving tiny drills going through parts of my body, but the truth is, if I just went every six months (which I don't) and flossed, brushed, etc (which I do) it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

But anyway, back to my experience yesterday, I start thinking, getting stressed, heart rate goes up, I'm already sweating so not sure if that was from this thought, and I just lay there. But then I started to think about, I wonder if Jesus would like the dentist? I never really thought of an answer to that because I was reminded of when Jesus got nervous and stressed. One instance in particular stood out to me, when Jesus was praying in the garden before he was taken to be killed.

The Bible talks about Jesus praying that "this cup be taken from me" and indicates that he was so nervous and stressed about what he knew was coming, he was sweating blood. Now I often times find myself praying, "may this cavity be taken from me" but, its safe to say, Jesus' situation was much more frightening and intimidating. But the amazing thing is, he had multiple opportunities to escape his pending situation-- but he didn't. I escape the dentist (by not calling) whenever I can. I am really glad Jesus is braver than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment